If you are thinking about being a Surrogate, you will first need to meet the requirements. These requirements have been established to keep you safe, the baby safe, and to ensure that families have their best chance of having a baby.
Surrogate requirements will vary by state and by agencies, but many have been set by the American Society of Reproductive Medicine. For Family Makers, you must meet the following requirements:
– Be between the ages of 21-39 years old
– Have delivered a baby in the last 10 years
– Have a great pregnancy history without significant complications
– Have had no more than 2 deliveries via cesarean section
– Be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
– Consent to a background check for herself and adults living in her home
– Have a stable home life, strong support system, and reliable childcare
– Not have a recent history of smoking or vaping
– Be willing to refrain from any alcohol during pregnancy
– Not take prescription medications recreationally or use illicit drugs
– Be financially stable
– Not have had an endometrial ablation or the Essure® procedure
– Not take medications that are labeled Category D or Category X
– Not take antipsychotics, anti-anxiety or antidepressants
– Have flexibility for 3-6 morning appointments
– Understand that daily injections for up to 12 weeks may be necessary
– Have no plans for international travel in the next 18-24 months
There are other requirements as well, including the need to pass both physical and psychological evaluations with a fertility doctor. Remember that this has all been put into place to keep you safe and ensure that the process is a smooth one. If you meet these requirements, you are well on your way to becoming a Surrogate in Atlanta.